2011 Ragusa, Croatia

City of Ragusa
From its establishment the town chose the Byzantine Emperors as a protector from enemies, above all from the Venice. However, after the Crusades in the year 1205, Ragusa fall under control of Venice and continue until 1358 when by the Peace Treaty of Zadar becomes part of the Hungarian Kingdom. At this time, Ragusa was allowed to establish the self-government and in return, they had to pay a tribute to the king and provide assistance with its fleet. The Republic of Ragusa reaches its peak in the 15th and 16th centuries (www.dubrovnik-online.com). During the sixteenth century, the total area of the republic was 1,092 km2 with a population of 80,000 inhabitants (See: Appendix 6). The Ragusa was a small commercial city-state prospering from the trading connections, especially during wartime between West and East. Ragusa had many special trade agreements with various cities that included pass trough their countries or liberated Ragusa’s merchants from taxes on goods sold. Thanks to an effective and efficient trading organization, by the end of 15th century Ragusa had largest fleet of merchant in the Adriatic. Ragusa’s ‘world’ was in the forefront the Balkan Peninsula, then Mediterranean and the Orient (Carter, 1972). Ragusa had trade colonies in many towns in nearby Bosnia, Belgrade, Istanbul, and Sofia (Dedijer, 2002). During the second half of the 18th century, Ragusa’s government established 60 consular offices in almost all more important cities in the Mediterranean (Carter, 1972). (See: Appendix 7)